Skip to main content

New Year Goals



Happy New Year!  It's the start of 2017, the first page of this years blank book, what will you write on yours?

Last year I set myself some 'resolutions' which in the most part I achieved.  So here I go for 2017 planning what I want to achieve this year;



Writing Related Goals & Resolutions 


Lets start off with the love of my life - my writing.

1. The Poppy Garden

Last year I wanted to finish my novel The Poppy Garden and publish is for Remembrance Day, which I did, so this year in relation to this book project I will work on Marketing and promoting it to as many readers as possible.

This book is a personal one for me, if you've read my blog before you know it comes from my Grandfather's personal dealings with PTSD, it's probably the hardest thing I've ever written and was a true labour of love.

As an independent author the marketing and promotion is all down to me so I need to work on a strategy for that this year.


2. A New Project

Now that The Poppy Garden is complete it's time to start working on a new idea and write my next novel.  I have several options that's I'm fleshing out write now to decide which one I want to run with first.


3.  Release a fourth Novel

I've always took my time with writing and not really set target dates that push me - I need to reevaluate that this year and be more proactive, consistent and determined to complete projects in an agreed time scale.


Personal Goals 


As Big Ben rang in the new year I thought about what I wanted to achieve to make my life better and how I would go about doing that.

1.  I love my Life - if anyone like me watched Robbie Williams singing on New Years Eve/New Years Day, his latest song had a real resonance with me.  Life is the messy bits, its never quite as you imagine it, or maybe you're lucky and it is.  But the thing about life is you have to live it, even when it's hard and you want to bury your head under the duvet and stay there till the world goes away or when it's great and you're having the time of your life, it's all got to be experienced, enjoyed, understood and loved.

It's about understanding who I am and as a person how unique and wonderful I am, and that's not to sound like I'm bragging but I am a wonderful person, everyone is in their own way, we just need to understand and appreciate what is wonderful about us and believe in it.

So thank you Robbie, you have given me a mantra for the year;


2. Health and wellbeing - doesn't everyone start January saying I'm going to exercise more, eat well, loose weight and tone up?  Well maybe that works for some people, but for me it's become something you say you're going to do but it slips off the radar when you're tired, you've had a long day or something more appealing comes up.

So this year instead of convincing myself I need to get in to a gym routine or diet I'm going to approach it differently.  I challenge myself to find different ways to improve my health, be it going on a longer walk with my dog, Hero or a more challenging one, trying new workouts at home to see which I like and enjoy not forcing myself in to a mundane routine where I  loose heart and interest.

I will try new foods and I plan to be more organised when preparing my meals.  For instance making sure I plan a healthy lunch which is appropriate to be carried with me where ever I may end up eating!  

To make wiser food decisions, maybe not have two biscuits with a cup of tea... even if they are rather tempting.

3.Find better ways to manage stress
Life can be stressful, you can have general day to day stresses and then big all mighty kick you in the stomach stresses.  I've had a few of both this last year, so this year I need to find ways to manage that stress better and not to take the knocks as hard as I have done in the past.

4. Reading Challenge
Reading is something which soothes me and something which helps me grow as a person.  It feeds my mind as exercise feeds your body.  Last year I had a reading goal of 25 books on Goodreads which I achieved.  So this year I've bumped it to 30 - you might not think that's a lot but it's about having a realistic balance and not setting myself up to fail and feel bad about it.

5.  Building Confidence and Positivity.
I'm not a confident person and sometimes I can spiral in to worry, stress and negativity. This year I plan to find a more positive outlook in all things personal and professional.  I don't want to feel wound up about things I can't control but I also want to feel that there are routes to take that will help me find my way through any issue without causing me too much stress and heartache.

Blogs and Blogging


Blogging has been something I've been learning how to do over the past two years, now it's time to start working on it in a more consistent and professional manner;

1. Set a blog schedule and stick to it - my posts to the end of last year became erratic and I missed quite a few due to other influences in my life - well it's time I started putting my blog as a priority after all how many readers/followers will stick around if I don't hold up my end of the deal.




Well I suppose that's enough of a start for now!  I hope you all had a wonderful New Year and I hope 2017 brings you all that your heart desires.  Enjoy each day and make the book of your life and amazing one.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Ready With Me - Pamper Routine

Life is hectic, stressful and chaotic, it can play havoc with your skin, your health and your general wellbeing.  Sometimes you just have to say stop and take a little time for yourself to give your body a treat and recharge your batteries for the days/weeks ahead. After going through periods of stress and anxiety I found that taking some time to have a mini pamper session could lift my mood, help my skin and lower my stress levels.  I try at least once a week to give myself a mini pamper session to relax and refocus my mind. This is currently my pamper routine; As we move in to Spring I'm exfoliating my skin with Calcot Manor Body salts, this is refreshing my skin and leaving it feeling smooth after months of being hidden under long sleeves and jumpers. I apply to damp skin using a circular motion starting at the feet and working my way up. CALCOT MANOR SCRUB I then shower off the salts which do leave a bit of oil on the skin, I tend to follow up with Treacle Moon

10 Things I Love about "It's Okay to Not be Okay"

It's Okay to not be Okay, started this past weekend on Netflix and TVN, produced by Studio Dragon, Story TV and Goldmedalist, it is a Romantic Drama a a whimsical fairy tale twist, staring Kim Soo Hyun in his first TV drama since returning from military service and Seo Ye Ji of Lawless Lawyer. This is a show I've been looking forward to since it was announced and I have to say the pre show hype did not disappoint. So two episodes in, here are the ten things I love about this show so far; 1.  Burton esq Whimsey The show begins with a Tim Burton esq animation, reminiscent of the Corpse Bride and Nightmare before Christmas, with a twisted tale to match.  The dark fairy tale and graphic characters of the animation are carried through in to the illustrations of Ko Moon-young's (Seo Ye Ji) children's books I love how the animation isn't dark which makes some of its darker themes all the more impactful. It also sets up Ko Moon-young as a character bea

Room Tour - Study Redesign

My house is my sanctuary, which every now and again needs a bit of a spruce up.  At the moment it's my study that needs a little TLC.  It's been a bit neglected for a while so this year it's getting a bit of  lift.  I also think my tastes have changed a little since the last time I decorated it properly. To start with, my study is quite a small room, it's meant to be my writing/working at home haven; a dedicated space to work.  A couple of years ago I bought my desk which I love, it's solid wood and reminds me of the desks you see in old movies or period dramas.  So the theme for this room will fit in generally with the look of my desk. I looked through the Houz app which I do find kick starts my interior design creativity and I watched some of the home design videos of my favourite vloggers such as Fleur De Force, Alexandrea Garza, Viviannadoesmakeup  etc. I  settled on the following key aspects I wanted to incorporate in my design;  Richly coloured w