Skip to main content

Do Blondes have more fun?


The evolution of my hair, well there's a story;

When I was born, my mam always reminds me, I went missing in the hospital for a while because the nurses were amazed at my thick jet black hair and decided to show me off as my mam slept.  I'm sure if that happened now there's be some major case review and heads would roll!  Anyway, the point is I was born with a lot of rich dark hair and while the thickness has never changed, the colour well.....



Before The Cut 


As I grew my hair grew long and dark changing from jet black to a deep brown/black with a hint of red. I think at one point it was waist length that was until I found a pair of scissors and thought I'd make a great hairdresser - the results horrified my mam and I ended up with my first ever bob.

This should have been a life lesson and I should never have let another pair of scissors near my hair again, only well as I came in to my teens I decided to cut my hair off and have a pixie style only it didn't quite work as my hair was too thick and I spent the next six years growing it out with differing levels of success.

At 16 I ventured in to the world of hair dye experimenting with highlight and bangs.  I left my hair to grow back in until it was shoulder length and instead of cutting save for my bangs I just experimented with colour instead.    I added red to my dark brown, then plum, I tried highlights and low lights, all over colour and back to my dark roots again.


I was in my twenties and I just out of uni when I  decided to go blonde. I did manage to do this wisely as I changed my colour in stages using more and more highlights and adjusting the intensity until I got the colour I wanted. I knew I would suit blonde as my mam was a platinum blonde in her 20's and If you see a picture of her then it looks like I've gone back in time. I definitely inherited my looks from her side of the family.

going blonde 
I have gone back and forth from blonde to brown a few times since then but now as a thirty something I'm of the opinion I should really stay in the blonde colour range and there's a number of reasons for this.

1. My natural dark colour plus my pale skin tone make me look ghostly and not in a good way.  I see so many models with gorgeous deep brown hair and pale skin but it just doesn't work for me.  Dark hair makes my skin look sallow and I have to wear a lot of fake tan to look human.

2. I suite being a blonde - it's like some people suit wearing hats and some don't in my opinion and some others I trust I'm better as a blonde than a brunette

3. As I get older grey/white hairs start to appear and they are less noticeable in my lighter hair colour than they would be in my dark hair.

So, today  I'll be visiting my hairdresser to get my roots done as it's been almost three months since my last visit and my roots are showing a little too much now.  My base colour is currently a dark blonde.  My hairdresser always finds dying my hair a challenge as I have a lot of copper naturally which I get from my mam's Strawberry blonde hair.  I'll also be adding a half a head of highlights to brighten up my hair and lift it for the summer, if we get one here in England that is!

My cut tends to stay the same, I've grown out my bangs which I used to hide behind and I'm now trying to embrace a more open faced look.  My hair has a natural wave and after years of straightening it I know embrace the wave and curl it often than have it straight.

embracing the curl
As for haircare, as my hair is bleached and dyed I use Moroccan Oil Hair treatment before I style it.  For washing I use OGX organics, this is a reasonably priced shampoo and conditioner which give me a soft clean look and help keep my hair in good condition.

I use a homemade coconut oil hair mask once a week and I use heat protecting spray whenever I dry and style my hair.

Do I have more fun as a blonde?  Maybe, I definitely have more confidence, or maybe that's just come with age and understanding who I am.   I wouldn't say being blonde draws more attention or makes me act any differently I think it's just who I really am inside.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Ready With Me - Pamper Routine

Life is hectic, stressful and chaotic, it can play havoc with your skin, your health and your general wellbeing.  Sometimes you just have to say stop and take a little time for yourself to give your body a treat and recharge your batteries for the days/weeks ahead. After going through periods of stress and anxiety I found that taking some time to have a mini pamper session could lift my mood, help my skin and lower my stress levels.  I try at least once a week to give myself a mini pamper session to relax and refocus my mind. This is currently my pamper routine; As we move in to Spring I'm exfoliating my skin with Calcot Manor Body salts, this is refreshing my skin and leaving it feeling smooth after months of being hidden under long sleeves and jumpers. I apply to damp skin using a circular motion starting at the feet and working my way up. CALCOT MANOR SCRUB I then shower off the salts which do leave a bit of oil on the skin, I tend to follow up with Treacle Moon

Festive Reads - Mince Pies and Mistletoe at the Christmas Market

My second Festive Read, yes I know it's still technically September, was Heidi Swain's Mince Pies and Mistletoe at the Christmas Market.   Released in October 2016, this book is part of the Wynbridge series, in this story we are introduced to Ruby who has recently dropped out of university and is heading home to run a market stall for the Cherry Tree Cafe in order to save some money to go travelling. Her dad is not happy that his daughter whom he seems to want to live vicariously through is working as a market trader.  It soon turns out there maybe more to his concerns about her working on the market than it first seemed.  Not only is Ruby faced with dealing with her dad and his strange behaviour but she is working on the stall next to her childhood sweet heart who after three years she still hasn't got over.  Throwing herself in to making this the best Christmas market ever Ruby is determined to being back the community feeling and turn Wynbridge's Christmas mar

10 Things I Love about "It's Okay to Not be Okay"

It's Okay to not be Okay, started this past weekend on Netflix and TVN, produced by Studio Dragon, Story TV and Goldmedalist, it is a Romantic Drama a a whimsical fairy tale twist, staring Kim Soo Hyun in his first TV drama since returning from military service and Seo Ye Ji of Lawless Lawyer. This is a show I've been looking forward to since it was announced and I have to say the pre show hype did not disappoint. So two episodes in, here are the ten things I love about this show so far; 1.  Burton esq Whimsey The show begins with a Tim Burton esq animation, reminiscent of the Corpse Bride and Nightmare before Christmas, with a twisted tale to match.  The dark fairy tale and graphic characters of the animation are carried through in to the illustrations of Ko Moon-young's (Seo Ye Ji) children's books I love how the animation isn't dark which makes some of its darker themes all the more impactful. It also sets up Ko Moon-young as a character bea