Skip to main content

Alas Poor Hamlet

I love London, I love theatre land, unfortunately I don’t get there as often as I would like, which is why I love the National Theatre’s live streaming of some truly remarkable performances.

The Barbican’s current run of Hamlet staring Benedict Cumberbatch was the latest offering, which I was glad to see knowing I wouldn’t otherwise get the opportunity to see the performance.
The Barbican is a grade two listed building, from architects Chamberlin, Powell and Bon as part of the regeneration of London’s bombed landscape.  It opened in 1982 and is Europe’s largest multi arts and conference venues.

Hamlet (5 August – 31 October 2015) Shakespeare’s great tragedy has been adapted for the stage by Director Lyndsey Turner and Producer Sonia Friedman.  The run time is approximately 1 hour 50 minutes.

Hamlet played by Benedict Cumberbatch is grieving for the loss of his father and is enraged by the marriage of his mother to his uncle.  As war looms outside the gates of their castle the family and it’s subjects start to tear themselves apart. 

Visited by the ghostly visage of his father, Hamlet swears to avenge his murder, with the wit of his well-known Sherlock character and filled with energy and emotion Cumberbatch thrills as the title character who plays both plotter and mad man with reverence and magnificence seldom seen in previous portrayals. 

Sian Brooke gives a moving portrayal of Ophelia demented by madness and Ciaran Hinds is villainous as Hamlet’s uncle. 

Visually the set is stunning and mix of contemporary and classic styles fold together beautifully. 


This is by far the best adaptation of this great work I have seen. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Ready With Me - Pamper Routine

Life is hectic, stressful and chaotic, it can play havoc with your skin, your health and your general wellbeing.  Sometimes you just have to say stop and take a little time for yourself to give your body a treat and recharge your batteries for the days/weeks ahead. After going through periods of stress and anxiety I found that taking some time to have a mini pamper session could lift my mood, help my skin and lower my stress levels.  I try at least once a week to give myself a mini pamper session to relax and refocus my mind. This is currently my pamper routine; As we move in to Spring I'm exfoliating my skin with Calcot Manor Body salts, this is refreshing my skin and leaving it feeling smooth after months of being hidden under long sleeves and jumpers. I apply to damp skin using a circular motion starting at the feet and working my way up. CALCOT MANOR SCRUB I then shower off the salts which do leave a bit of oil on the skin, I tend to follow up with Treacle Moon

10 Things I Love about "It's Okay to Not be Okay"

It's Okay to not be Okay, started this past weekend on Netflix and TVN, produced by Studio Dragon, Story TV and Goldmedalist, it is a Romantic Drama a a whimsical fairy tale twist, staring Kim Soo Hyun in his first TV drama since returning from military service and Seo Ye Ji of Lawless Lawyer. This is a show I've been looking forward to since it was announced and I have to say the pre show hype did not disappoint. So two episodes in, here are the ten things I love about this show so far; 1.  Burton esq Whimsey The show begins with a Tim Burton esq animation, reminiscent of the Corpse Bride and Nightmare before Christmas, with a twisted tale to match.  The dark fairy tale and graphic characters of the animation are carried through in to the illustrations of Ko Moon-young's (Seo Ye Ji) children's books I love how the animation isn't dark which makes some of its darker themes all the more impactful. It also sets up Ko Moon-young as a character bea

It's "Almost" The Most Wonderful Time of The Year

It's the season to be jolly, there's just something about the Christmas season which fills your heart with hope, joy and make just maybe the odd Christmas Miracle.   I'm a Christmas person, I love the season, and yes to me it is a season, which kind of starts just after my Birthday in September.  That's when I start my planning; mind you I usually start my Christmas Shopping in January in order to spread the cost!   Right now, I'm planning my Christmas decorations and starting to work on some which are more craft based.  I'm a bit of a traditionalist, my tree tends to be red and gold, and although my tree is artificial as I have a rather excitable golden retriever who would probably chew or try to drag a real one in to the garden, it's green, I'm not a black or multi-colour tree type person.   Over the next couple of weeks I'll be working on a few craft projects, which I'll share here and hopefully it'll help get you in the Chris